CBS News

Harvard soccer team suspended over sexually explicit "scouting report"

CBS News


Harvard University is suspending its men's soccer team for the rest of the season over sexual comments made about members of the women's soccer team.

University President Drew Faust said in a statement Thursday night that an investigation into the 2012 team found that their "appalling" comments were not isolated and have continued through the current season.

The 2012 document uncovered by The Harvard Crimson student newspaper rated the attractiveness of recruits on the women's team and included lewd comments about them. Members of the men's team called it their "scouting report" and circulated it online.

Athletics Director Robert Scalise has sent an email to student athletes announcing that the university will forfeit its remaining games of the season.

"I am on the phone with my father, please respect me," said member of Harvard University men's soccer team to CBS Boston .

A member of Harvard University Men's soccer team didn't want to answer questions. The University suspended the team for the rest of the season accusing them of disrespecting and degrading women players.

The school found the men's team continually participated in a sexually explicit "scouting report" where they rated the incoming women freshman players.

"Guys cross the line a lot, and I think this is one of the instances," said student Betsy Prezioso.

The Harvard men are currently ranked number one in the Ivy League. They will not play the rest of the season or be allowed to play in any championships.

"I think the severe measures had to be taken it might have been a little excessive to completely call off the team," said student Kevin Gordon.

Harvard's president released a statement saying in part: "The decision to cancel a season is serious and consequential and reflects Harvard's view that both the team's behavior and the failure to be forthcoming when initially questioned are completely unacceptable."

"I think that Harvard is doing anything at all is really speaks to their commitment to make it a safe campus," said student Cate Pinto.

The six women who were the subject of the 2012 scouting report wrote an op-ed earlier this week. They say they stand by their words in response to the latest news. The op-ed said in part: "We cannot change the past, but we are asking you to help us now and in the future."